What is an addon domain?
An add-on domain is a way that the cPanel/WHM control panel allows accounts to host more than one website at a time without needing to create an entirely new cPanel account for each domain.
How do I create an addon domain?
- Log into your cPanel account.
- Navigate to Addon Domains under the Domains section.
- On the following page, under the Create an Addon Domain header, enter in the New Domain Name, Subdomain/FTP Username, Document Root, and Password.
- Click on Add Domain to save.
Why does it say “Subdomain added” in cPanel after I create an addon domain?
This is simply how addon domains function. Addon domains are added to an existing cPanel account as a subdomain, giving the new domain its own site file folder inside the main account’s public_html directory.
If this was unexpected or you need the new domain to be more independent, then it would be best to remove it as an addon domain and create a new cPanel account for the domain.
How do I upload files to an addon or subdomain?
- Log into your cPanel account and click on File Manager under the Files section.
- In the pop-up box, click on Web Root (public_html/www) then hit Go on the bottom.
- Click on the ‘+’ sign next to the public_html folder on the left-hand side.
- Select the folder with your subdomain or addon domain’s username. The current content of that directory will be displayed on the right-hand side.
- Next, click the upload button at the top, which will open a new browser window.
- Browse for the desired file(s), and click open.
- Select the link back to /home/user_name/public_html at the bottom.
How do I park a domain on an addon domain?
- Log into your cPanel account and click on Addon Domains, under the Domains section.
- In the field to the right of New Addon Domain, type the name of the domain you wish to park on top of one of your addon domains.
- In the Document Root field, remove everything except public_html.
- Now you need to look at what the document root of your addon domain is, so you can plug this exact location into the new Document Root field of the new addon domain you are parking.
- Type and password into the Password field, and finally click Add Domain.
Photo by LadyDragonflyCC