A Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS) is the term for a virtual machine in ServInt’s Jelastic cloud service.
ServInt’s VDS hosting platform runs a CentOS-based environment with full root access. You should be comfortable operating a server via the command line if you wish to deploy a VDS environment.
Note: VDS functionality is only available for paying customers and is not included in the Jelastic free trial.
To deploy a VDS you need to do the following:
A. Create environment
- Log in to your ServInt Jelastic account or sign up for a free trial.
- Click the “Create Environment” button.
- Choose “Expert” environment topology.
- Click on the VDS button in the lower left corner.
- Specify the Reserve Cloudlets and Scaling Limit.
- If you’d like to see more detail on the cost breakdown, you can click “Cost details.”
- Type the name of environment in the bottom right corner.
- Click “Create.”
Your VDS environment will be created in a few minutes.
B. Establish an SSH connection and start managing software
You can configure and control your VDS on the command line. To open a connection in your terminal emulator or SSH client, SSH to [user]@[hostname] where [user] is the “Login”, [hostname] is the “Public IP”, and the password is “Password” from the email you received when you created the environment.
Photo by William Warby